Since its introduction, fiber cement siding has become renowned as a cost-efficient, attractive, and durable cladding material. What many people don’t know is that this type of siding is also a very environment-friendly building material. Below are a few green advantages to choosing fiber cement siding for home exteriors:
- Environment-friendly materials – Fiber cement siding is made from a mixture of cement, wood fibers, sand, and water. These materials are safer than the chemicals used in the production of other types of siding, and fewer emissions are released during the manufacturing of the product.
- Long Lasting – Fiber cement siding will last for decades before needing replacement. This long, useful life span means that less energy and resources will be needed over time than other siding products.
- Fireproof – Fire-resistant siding adds fire protection to your home. Discarded fiber cement siding will not burn or give off toxic chemicals in landfills.
- Recycled materials – Some fiber cement siding uses up to 30 percent recycled materials in production. This reduces the amount of raw materials and energy used to produce the siding.
- No painting required – Colors are molded into the boards of the siding during the manufacturing process. There is no painting required, and the color won’t chip off or fade. This makes fiber siding cement very low-maintenance as well as environment-friendly.
- Insect-proof – Fiber cement siding is resistant to damage from termites, carpenter ants, and other burrowing insects. This insect protection reduces the need to use chemicals for insect extermination.
There is more emphasis now than ever on choosing eco-friendly products whenever possible, and with all the additional benefits of fiber cement siding, opting for this green product can be an excellent choice.